Friends of the Museum
Museums are centres of education and research and play an important role in society documenting our culture and the natural world around us. As such museums belong to the community and without the involvement and pride of the community museums will flounder. The Natural History Museum of Bulawayo is one of the best in Southern Africa and is something of which the citizens of Bulawayo are immensely proud.
The Friends of the Natural History Museum is a loose association of volunteers and supporters who have an affinity for our heritage and would like to help in whichever way they can to preserve this for future generations. The Friends act on a voluntary and non-remunerative basis. Their support is moral, financial or consists of voluntary work or expertise.
Fund raising efforts have included Fun Days at the Museum, Treasure Hunts in the Museum, Nights in the Museum, Golf Days, Screening of Motion Pictures and Conservation Club to name a few.
The Natural History Museum of Bulawayo launched its Friends of the Museum on 16th May 2012. Membership to the Friends is minimal. To join or make a donation please contact either the Museum Director or the Friends Association: email@example.com
Download: Friends of the Museum Application Form
Successful projects that the Friends have supported include:
- Recovering of the benches in the lecture hall (Newman Hall)
- Replacement of the carpet in the geology galleries
- Mounting of a live display on the poisonous snakes of Zimbabwe and revamp of the permanent Herpetology displays
- New Permanent Hippo Display
- Revamping of Khami World Heritage Site Museum
- Printing of the Museum Guide Book
- Information Panels at World’s View Matobo
[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”13″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails” override_thumbnail_settings=”0″ thumbnail_width=”240″ thumbnail_height=”160″ thumbnail_crop=”1″ images_per_page=”20″ number_of_columns=”0″ ajax_pagination=”0″ show_all_in_lightbox=”0″ use_imagebrowser_effect=”0″ show_slideshow_link=”0″ slideshow_link_text=”[Show slideshow]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
Projects that the friends are currently fund raising for and supporting are:
- Permanent Arachnid display inside Museum
- Introduction to Hall of Man display revamp
- Updated displays in the Hall of Kings to include a section on King Mzilikazi and Lobengula
- Pomongwe Site Museum revamp
Large Projects that have had international support have included repairs to the leaks in the roof with assistance from Beit Trust and creation of an E-learning Education Centre with assistance from UNICEF.
Other large projects that require substantial capital investment and partnership include:
- Databasing of Museum collections
- Multidisciplinary Research at Chirinda Forest and Matobo Wetlands
- Conservation Projects on Matobo Rock Art
- Rhodes Stable and Summer House Restoration and creation of Site Museum
- Rebuild of Old Bulawayo
- Purchase of Steel Cabinets to house the museum collections
- Connection of Museum to Solar lightning
- Painting of the Museum